How to Safely Entertain in Your Outdoor Space
March 2, 2021
With the weather quickly warming up, we’re all looking forward to spending time outdoors and feeling the need for some much needed in-person, human connection. But with the threat of COVID-19 still at large, it’s important to keep safety in mind. We’ve compiled some tips to help you see your favorite people in-person while keeping safe from COVID and utilizing your outdoor space!
Staying safe outdoors seems easy enough, but you’ll want to be extra cautious in order to protect yourself and your friends and family. To ensure safety:
- Limit the size of your group of friends and family. It’s a good idea to invite very few people, 3-4 depending on the size of your household, for a safe gathering. It’s also a lot easier to maintain the necessary six-foot distance when your group is much smaller.
- Don’t share your things with your guests. To help prevent the spread of germs ask your guests to bring their own things to use while in your yard. Things like masks (just in case!), blankets (if it’s particularly cold), and food are all things your guests should bring themselves.
- Keep your pets, if you have any that love the outdoors, away from your guests. Or, better yet, keep them inside so they don’t have the chance to spread germs from you to your guest and vice versa.
Although safety is the top priority, you’ll still want to make your outdoor space nice so your family and friends feel comfortable. There are various ways you can decorate your space just to make it a little more homey:
- Add some lighting. Whether simple outdoor lights or delicate string lights, it may be a good idea to add some light, just to ensure you and your guests can actually see each other, especially if you’re hanging out at night!
- Stay warm with a fire. If you don’t already have an outdoor fireplace or fire pit, consider getting one installed. As the temperature cools, gathering around a roasting fire creates a cozy vibe your guests are sure to love.
- Don’t shy away from decor. It doesn’t need to be anything elaborate, but adding some chairs and tables along with some lit candles and fresh flowers can quickly elevate your space and make your guests feel like they’re actually in your home.
- Stay cool with umbrellas. Install some simple, sturdy umbrellas for your guests to stay in the shade as the temperature heats up. You can also decorate the umbrellas with string lights for a more cozy vibe.
- Convert underutilized space. If you have any extra space consider converting it into an area ready for guests to hang out and relax. Laying down gravel or wood chips and placing chairs and tables will quickly make your space seem more inviting and give it a more purposeful feel.
Not sure how to make outdoor entertaining work in your current home? Check out our available homes and upgrade your space today. We have a variety of floorplans and numerous outdoor living options with extended decks, patios, covered decks, and more. We have all you’ll need to make your outdoor space a true haven! Call us or check them out here.